Re: Fair use (RE: electronic journals CCC)

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Anthony Watkinson wrote:

> My understanding is that publishers are not worried about one librarian
> sending an e-document to another librarian but a librarian passing on an
> e-document to an end-user who cannot be controlled (as we all know). I
> know it is more complicated that.

Perhaps, but let's face it, when a library sends a copy to another
library, it is almost always destined for an end-user.  The librarian has
no more "control" over that end user than if it had been sent directly to
him/her.  Sure, the end user does not get direct access to the online
version but can still scan the article and email it to whomever.

Thomas L. Williams, AHIP
Director, Biomedical Libraries and
 Media Production Services
University of South Alabama