Re: Fair use (RE: electronic journals CCC)

Contracts are always written not only to provide for the rights and
obligations of the parties but also to set the limits to the activity
envisioned by the parties.  Most of the words of any contract are
concerned with what happens if things go wrong.

The debate over ILL rights over the past few days has displayed both great
ignorance of the purpose of clauses in a contract and their
enforceability, and a wider ignorance of the law.  Merely because
right-thinking citizens will not commit murder is not a reason for the law
to be silent.  Merely because librarians are impeccable copyright citizens
- my publishing career has confirmed this - is not a reason for forgetting
to delineate the boundaries to the rights granted under the license.  It
makes no sense not to be detailed and specific; in that way, both
publishers and librarians have to think carefully about what rights and
obligations are acceptable, and then negotiate about them.  If you do not
like a term of a license, make the case - be specific, provide reasons,
put it in writing, and point out to the publisher who is the customer with
the money.  It is not sufficient to whinge on a community listserv.

In relation specifically to ILL, most significant publishers allow the use
of ILL files to print out copies for onward transmission to the receiving
library by mail or fax (including Ariel).  There are some that don't, but
they need to be educated!

Oh, and that point about the Alabama case on sharing the lottery winnings.
Wagering contracts (i.e. agreements based on bets or on gambling) are not
enforceable at law.  Nothing to do with contracts overriding statutes.
It is a common law rule.  In the case of copyright law, the law grants the
owner a property right that can be traded.  Fair use represents an
exception to that ownership.  Copyright is the right to say 'no'.  A
license is the copyright owner saying 'yes' in certain defined
circumstances.  Such a contract does override fair use, unless it also
provides that nothing should be interpreted as denying such rights to
users.

Wise publishers do not seek to stop librarians from exercising their fair
use rights in relation to the electronic files.  Most are wise, and
getting more so.  When you encounter stupidity, simply ask the publisher
to look at what the majority are doing, and explain what you want.  One
simple example: many publishers do not understand what is meant by
"electronic reserve" - so explain it to them.

John Cox
John Cox Associates
E-mail: John.E.Cox@btinternet.com