RE: Nature Contract Provisions

Laurel -- I always try to get a clause in our licenses that say (to the
effect) that if the content decreases then the price decreases
proportionately.  Sometimes this is successful, other times not!  Several
of the NAAL licenses have a compromise "that if the content decreases by
10%, then the price will be reduced proportionally. "

Also, in negotiating, I ask about the historical stability of the
database.  What content has been lost/added over the past couple of years?
If content has been lost, why?

Sue O. Medina
Director
Network of Alabama Academic Libraries
P. O. Box 302000
Montgomery, AL  36130-2000
334-242-2211
smedina@ache.state.al.us
____________

Laurel.Kristick@orst.edu
Subject:     RE: Nature Contract Provisions

As someone who is fairly new to reading contracts, I'm curious as to
whether I am reading clause 7.7 of the Nature Academic License correctly.

"7.7 The content of the Licensed Material is subject to change without
notice."

Does this mean they can reinstall the 3-month embargo on parts of the
issues without notice?

Laurel Kristick
Physical Sciences Coordinator for Collection Development
121 The Valley Library, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331
(541) 737-7276
laurel.kristick@orst.edu