RE: electronic journals CCC

I don't think that most publishers are actually out there rubbing their
hands together and plotting the demise of fair use in any specific way.
However, just about every license I examine forbids behavior that would be
considered well within fair-use boundaries in the print realm.  It's
understandable -- large-scale piracy of print materials is difficult,
whereas with electronic materials it's absurdly easy, so it makes sense to
impose more stringent restrictions on electronic stuff.  But there's
nothing about the fair use doctrine itself that makes, say,
electronic-to-electronic exchange unacceptable -- fair use doctrine talks
about intent, scale and market impact, not format.

-------------
Rick Anderson
Electronic Resources/Serials Coordinator
The University Libraries
University of Nevada, Reno
1664 No. Virginia St.
Reno, NV  89557
PH  (775) 784-6500 x273
FX  (775) 784-1328
rickand@unr.edu

"A revolution involves a change in structure;
a change in style is not a revolution."
        -- Karl Marx