RE: Impact of statewide database deals?

The State of Michigan also has a well-developed program, "Access
Michigan", http://accessmichigan.org/ , that provides access to full-text
databases via OCLC FirstSearch, Infotrac and others.

"AccessMichigan is a service of the Library of
 Michigan developed with the participation of
 Michigan libraries and designed to offer every
 library and resident of the state equitable and
 easy-to-use access to a core set of information
 resources."

The important element here is the participation with Michigan libraries.
How has this affected Michigan libraries?  I cannot speak for all types of
libraries but for smaller libraries, particularly hosptial libraries, we
now have access to databases that before we would never have considered
purchasing because of cost and/or need.  Granted, we don't get many
questions on literature, or history but in those rare instances when an
administrator gets one of those burning questions we in the hosptial
libraries can now get some answers and on occasion even a full-text
article. The business resources are also quite valuable to us.

Two standout exceptions exist with access to FirstSearch and Infotrac.
These two aggregators provide, respectively, the CINAHL and Health
Reference Center Academic databases.  Both of these are of extreme value
to smaller hospital libraries with limited budgets.  The ability to access
these two, especially CINAHL, saves a considerable amount of resource
dollars.

As for the academic perspective, I remember early on when Access Michigan
first began. There was already in place a vast array of databases
available via vendors such as SilverPlatter.  There was an uneasiness in
trusting that those resources from the State would always be available.
For many reasons surrounding consistency, reliability, and selection of
databases, it was decided to keep the "paid-for" databases in addition to
the new resources now offered by Access Michigan.

To address your question more specifically, I will definitely check to see
what is available full-text from Access Michigan as I make decisions
concerning the journal collection and decisions relating to the purchase
of databases such as CINAHL.  I also am surprised how often we request
articles via ILL only to discover that it was available from an Access
Michigan database.  The key is close monitoring of what is available and
then remembering to check the list.  With a limited budget and even less
physical space, the impact of State provided resources, whether it is
full-text or simply a database has immense amount of influence on
decsion-making.

Hope this helps.

Michael Simmons, MLIS, AHIP
Library Manager, Sparrow Health System