Re: Alumni Access

Another point to consider--the cost for many e-resources is scaled
according to concurrent users. In those cases vendors might well consider
adding alumni at no extra cost, while the libraries might find almost
immediately that they need to increase simultaneous user access
significantly to maintain access for traditional users. It seems that this
would be very difficult to manage for any products that don't have
unlimited site licensing.

In our case, even if cost and licensing weren't barriers, there would be a
problem of arranging for secure identification through our proxy server
for a group of individuals that don't have local identities. I suppose
that last part could be solved, but it would pose some complications.
Would we be concerned about differentiating usage statistics between our
'traditional' users and alumni?  This question keeps reappearing for us
also, but it's hard to imagine a solution that would be workable. There
are an awful lot of alumni out there!!

Carole Richter
Electronic Resources Coordinator
University of Notre Dame Libraries