Re: Ebsco Full-Text Databases Post

Group:

My response to David was too curt, and perhaps we have both been guilty of
'imprecise' language (to borrow David's own term)! Let me clarify and
elaborate.

Science Express posts peer-reviewed articles that have been accepted for
publication in Science. These articles are posted in their preliminary
form, prior to editing and other enhancements that our editors and
reviewers might make to the final version. It is the final version of the
article that is printed in Science, and posted to Science Online. We never
print the 'raw' form of the article. But, yes, all articles in Science
Express will be completed and printed within a few weeks of their original
publication in Science Express. The range here is probably between 2 and
8 weeks.

I think the key point of my posting, perhaps not stated clearly enough, is
that every article that appears in print Science is also posted on Science
Online, with equal availability to personal subscribers and institutional
readers, on the very same date as the print publication. David's most
recent posting states correctly that Science Online makes even more
content available to AAAS members than it does to institutional readers,
including access to Science Express and to the career site Science's Next
Wave. That is, in my view, the prerogative and, indeed, the job of a
scientific society: to provide benefits to members. We are trying to
develop a reasonable balance between making the literature accessible very
broadly (even beyond our membership) and providing proprietary benefits to
members (so that they still have a reason to join and support the
continued production of Science).

Mike Spinella

___

>>> mdba@stsci.edu 04/03/01 06:16PM >>>
Forgive my naivete, Michael, but the following from the Science Express
page suggests exactly the opposite of what you're saying here:

"Science Express provides rapid electronic publication of selected Science
papers. Print versions of these papers will appear in Science in several
weeks. "

What's the real story?  Do the Science Express articles end up in Science
or not?

Sarah Stevens-Rayburn, Librarian        email:  library@stsci.edu
Space Telescope Science Institute       telephone:  410-338-4961
3700 San Martin Drive                   fax:  410-338-4949
Baltimore, MD  21218
http://sesame.stsci.edu/library.html
USA

____________________

Michael Spinella wrote:

> David,
>
> You have referenced Science Express here as an example of situations where
> "the paper" version is more complete". This is nonsense. Science Express
> articles do not appear in print. Ever. And every article that appears in
> the print Science is posted to Science Online on the same date it first
> appears in print. All print articles are available at the same time,
> without embargo, to all individual members as well as to all readers at
> subscribing institutions.
> Mike Spinella
> Since Marg cited me, I'd like to further explain what I meant:
[snip]