(Fwd) RE: Ebsco Full-Text Databases Post

Hi Karen / Marg 'n all,

I'd suggest that we are probably talking 'diffr'nt strokes for diffr'nt
folks' argument here. There are losses (ironically)  in some of the
intangibles of browsing with electronic cf.  online. With the transition /
conversion print --> electronic some of the content seems to have fallen
between the cracks as well (I've had some complaints in this regard with
ScienceDirect - but that's for another forum I suspect).

However, we are probably dealing with a numbers game here - I don't think
there's any question that the 24x7 anyplace electronic variety has opened
up content to many more folk than would have otherwise taken the trouble /
find the necessary time in a time-starved world to navigate the physical
library equaivalent.

Hence BOTH your comments are correct. We just have to be careful about
characterising our customers' behaviour with too broad a brushstroke.

The other point might be that most of what we call electronic / online
still, for all practical purposes, becomes the paper world again - i.e.
PDFs chugging out of the printer at the end of the chain - screen-reading
is still not the main reading medium. I don't think we've truly moved
online yet - technology still has some ways to go before new grammar of
online discourse / communication is possible.

Bye,

Richard