RE: Off-campus access electronic resources via an authentication-enabl=

Most large libraries are using proxy servers to provide remote access to
their users. Do a search on Google for "library proxy" and see the number
of hits you get!

Smaller libraries (like mine) sometimes use other approaches such as
referer URLs or publisher provided institutional usernames and passwords.

If a publisher/aggregator asks if you are using a proxy server you should
tell them; they could set up code that checks for proxy-relay headers and
disallows proxy requests for unregistered proxy servers (a user in your IP
address space could set up a rogue proxy server and allow open access to
IP-authenticated resources)

Problems with Squid as you are using it might be that usernames and
passwords are sent in clear-text if you are using HTTP Basic
Authentication. Also some browser versions don't work with proxy servers.
I recently did a presentation on remote authentication, it is at
http://library.smc.edu/rua.htm and a list of other resources is at
http://library.smc.edu/rpa.htm

Steve Hunt
Santa Monica College Library