Re: FW: Message from EBSCO - Attn: Academic Librarians

I believe this e-mail from Ebsco is probably tied to their pursuit of
exclusive contracts with publishers.  Ever since Ebsco's deal with the
publishers of the Harvard Business Review , I've been hearing this refrain
from Ebsco: publishers come to us asking for these contracts because they
know that, unlike our competitors, we don't want our customers to cancel
their print subscriptions. (the exclusive contracts make full text
database access available only through the Ebsco product )

This from an email from our regional sales manager:

"In the last two years, academic publishers have become much more
selective in licensing their content to aggregators.  Our competitors have
experienced and continue to experience tremendous turmoil as a result.
By January of 2001, there will be nearly 1,500 scholarly journals
available through EBSCO's databases that are not available via our
competitors.  EBSCO has always realized that the publishers are the key to
successful full text databases and we have developed and maintained
long-term and outstanding relationships with these partners."

The post from David was the first I've seen of what appears to be the
other side of the exclusive contract bargain: Ebsco actively campaigning
against the cancellation of print titles.

Although Ebsco's patronizing attitude about journal cancellations is
annoying to me, what concerns me more is Ebsco's pursuit of exclusive
licensing with publishers.  I feel strongly that it is not in the best
interests of libraries to encourage these exclusive contracts, and we will
pay the price in the future.

Deborah Lenares
Electronic Resources Librarian
University of New Orleans