More on Nature

March 12, 2001

Dear List:

My institution acquired online access to Nature Neuroscience only.  I was
curious to what would happen if users attempted to access articles under
the three month embargo.  I received the following message:

	"Full text articles of peer-reviewed research are available
through one of three options: a site license; a subscription associated
with a personal account; or an individual article purchase. Full text
articles of non-peer reviewed research such as Opinion, News, and News &
Views, although available with a site license purchase, will be accessible
three months following publication. However, you can attain full text of
non-peer reviewed articles immediately with either a personal subscription
or an individual article purchase.

	"Your access to this journal is covered by a site license. Peer
reviewed research is available now. Content such as Opinion, News and
News&Views becomes available 3 months after publication. All articles in
this issue will become available on 24-May-2001 GMT GMT. Read this article
today by purchasing the article or a personal subscription."

I was quite alarmed that the user is given the choice to either buy the
article or purchase a personal subscription!  There is no mention of the
Library holding an available print copy, which can save our users money,
mainly students who can not afford to purchase articles let alone
subscriptions.  If any institution has acquire online access, I hope you
will lobby to have this message change.

Sincerely,

Liz Lorbeer
Collection Development Librarian @ Library of Rush University