Re: Clinical Evidence-Institutional site license

I checked on this a few months ago and found the same thing. There are 4
issues of Clinical Evidence on the site. The publication cycle is once
every 6 months. The idea of a site license was dropped immediately.

Gail C. Anderson, Collection Development Librarian
AB-243 Greenblatt Library
Medical College of Georgia
Augusta, GA 30912-4400
ganderso@mail.mcg.edu
706/721-9906
706/721-2018 fax

>>> tobia@uthscsa.edu 03/12/01 01:47PM >>>
This message is directed primarily to health sciences librarians that may
read liblicense.

I recently received a request from one of our faculty members to
investigate an institutional site license to Clinical Evidence, a British
Medical Journal publication.  The print form of this publication comes out
twice a year and has institutional pricing of $245 USD for the 2001
subscription. The terms of the institutional site license for the online
version of this journal are posted at
http://www.clinicalevidence.org/subscription/pricing-e-access-institutions.
htm.  In reading the terms, pricing is based on FTEs and for our
institution with around 2,500 FTEs the cost would be at least $27,500 ($11
USD per FTE). Needless to say, my jaw dropped when I saw this price.

My questions are:  Has any library out there subscribed to the
institutional site license for Clinical Evidence?  Were you able to
negotiate a better deal with BMJ than the terms posted on the Website?
Is Clinical Evidence online worth the cost?

Rajia Tobia
Associate Library Director for Collection Development
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Briscoe Library MSC 7940
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio, TX 78229-3900
Phone:  210/567-2400