Re: FW: Nature Questions

Rick Anderson wrote:

> Another thought: maybe Nature should go to a simultaneous-users model.
> Then the price could be driven by actual use, and a humanities-oriented
> school (which would presumably get less use from the product) wouldn't
> have to pay the same price as a sciences-oriented school.

When we last met several years ago, Nature's Library Advisory Board
recommended the simultaneous-users model for these reasons.  I think the
simultaneous users model is a better way to control costs, even for larger
schools.  It is easy to make the assumption that larger schools have
bigger budgets.  This is true in most cases, but it's also true that we
have more disciplines to cover and we don't always have the ability (or
desire) to pay for wide-open access for resources.

Kerry L. Kresse, Physics Librarian     kkresse@library.wisc.edu
Physics Library,    University of Wisconsin -- Madison
1150 University Avenue,   Madison, WI  USA  53706
Office:  (608) 262-8696;  Physics Library:  (608) 262-9500
http://www.library.wisc.edu/libraries/Physics/

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be
         a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird