RE: Interesting item in FirstMonday

Very interesting; thanks, Bernie, for the post.  I agree with Cox that
Henderson goes too far, but there is some truth to what Henderson writes.
In my first professional position (in a small college in Washington state,
1973) I encountered a young budget director who asked me one day if the
library's collection wouldn't soon be complete.  He was dismayed to learn
that it would not and that the college would need to plan on budgeting
funds for library acquisitions more or less forever.  I attributed his
unrealistic expectations to youth and naivete.

Now I work for the University of Missouri System.  We are in the final
stages of the implementation of a resource sharing system that covers
nearly all of the academic institutions in Missouri.  In 1998, while
describing the project to a meeting of provosts from across the state, I
was challenged to explain why this project would not make it possible to
drastically cut library acquisitions budgets at member institutions, "and
don't give me that standard response that, for resource sharing to work,
the libraries need resources to share."  These weren't young, naive budget
directors.  They were chief academic officers from baccalaureate and
graduate institutions throughout the state.

I know that academic librarians are not complicit in furthering this
ignorant idea, but I have to say that we have been largely unsuccessful in
educating the academic administrators who oversee our funding about the
role of libraries in the mission of our institutions.  I think it is
unfortunate that a person can earn a Ph.D without at least accidentally
learning what it is that academic libraries do.  What does the phrase
"recorded knowledge of man" mean?  Where do administrators think this
recorded knowledge is?

Sorry for the rant.

George.
George Rickerson
Assistant Vice President for Library Systems
UM System
Executive Director
MOBIUS
3215B Lemone Industrial Boulevard