Nature Questions

This message is being forwarded from Marlene Cummins at the Astronony
Library of the University of Toronto.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 17:44:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Astronomy Library <astlibr@lepus.astro.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Nature questions

I wonder what the Nature market research told them about whether (or how
many) individuals would cancel if the library had the full Nature online?

I wonder whether they did any research among non-subscribers?

And I wonder why, if they think that libraries are just acting as an
archive, they aren't PAYING US instead of CHARGING US so very much? (Ok,
that may be a wee bit unrealistic. But if we are only getting part of the
thing, shouldn't we pay less?)

Marlene

     ***********************************
     *         Marlene Cummins         *
     *  U of Toronto Astronomy Library *
     *  Dept. of Astronomy Webmaster   *
     *    library@astro.utoronto.ca    *
     ***********************************

> In case you haven't seen it, here is today's LJ Academic Newswire, whose
> first two items concerned the Nature situation.

[deletions]

>LIBRARY COMMUNITY'S REACTION TO SITE LICENSE TAKES NATURE BY SURPRISE
>
>Officials at the eminent science journal NATURE this week
>said that the dissent over the publisher's current site
>license terms was unexpected and that there are no current
>plans to substantially alter those terms. The LJ ACADEMIC
>NEWSWIRE reported last week that a substantial number of
>libraries have refused to sign NATURE's site license
>agreement because the company does not offer libraries the
>full contents of its journal in its online edition.
>Libraries are chafing because the company does offer
>personal the journal's full content online upon or before
>print publication. Under the publisher's current terms,
>library site licenses carry a 12-issue delay for select
>sections of the weekly journal NATURE, and a 3-issue delay
>for select sections of NATURE'S monthly titles.
>
>NATURE Marketing Director Della Sar told the LJ ACADEMIC
>NEWSWIRE that the "unexpected reaction" of the library
>community seemed to defy market research done by the
>publisher. "During 1999 and 2000 we carried out extensive
>market research amongst our 48,000-plus personal
>subscribers," says Sar. "The response from the subscribers
>was, that [since] all of them have online access to all
>content at no additional charge, and certainly well ahead
>of receipt of their paper copies in most cases, they
>primarily use their library copies for archival research.
>In fact there was almost no personal subscriber who said
>they used the library copy for the news section." Asked if
>this unexpected reaction might cause the publisher to amend
>its current embargo policy, Sar said no. "We are naturally
>constantly discussing our license terms," she
>noted, "but...have no immediate plans [to amend the
>policy]. Sar noted that the current model was tailored to
>meet library needs by offering access, albeit restricted by
>the embargoes, 24 hours seven days a week, campus-wide.
>
>DESPITE NATURE'S MARKET RESEARCH, LIBRARIANS SAY
>INSTITUTIONAL USERS WANT ACCESS TO FULL CONTENT
>
>Librarians were quick to counter NATURE marketing director
>Della Sar's explanation that restricting access to NATURE
>in library site licenses was a plausible publishing
>strategy because market research showed "almost no personal
>subscribers" used library copies of NATURE for its current
>news. "It's possible that would be a logical response from
>an individual user who has a personal subscription, but it
>does not answer the need of an individual user at a
>university that does not have a personal subscription and
>who relies on access through their institution," said one
>librarian who requested anonymity. The librarian said her
>institution wants to work with NATURE to come to a mutually
>satisfactory understanding regarding online availability of
>NATURE. Other librarians said they also hoped to work with
>NATURE but would not sign the current agreement.

---