Re: Message from Pat Schroeder re: Librarians

Anthony,

With respect to academic library issues, I would caution against regarding
what is or is not reported in the Chronicle of Higher Education as much of
an indicator. My experience has been that, if it doesn't relate directly
to some sort of information technology issue, they aren't much interested.

As far as ARL is concerned, my personal observation is that this important
organization does a great deal for its members in terms of compiling and
presenting data on scholarly publishing costs, library expenditures, etc.
that is of great use to those libraries in making their respective cases
locally for adequate library funding.  The direct effort of making the
library's case to university administration, state funding authorities,
etc, has to come at the local level, however, and that work gets done
"under the radar," so to speak, so it isn't publicized, but it does get
done. The problem is that there is a lot more to this issue than a
strategy that depends primarily on "senior library figures" applying
"pressure" to university administrators can solve.

Adrian Alexander
Big 12 Plus Libraries Consortium
www.big12plus.org
____