Info as commodity (RE: Message from Pat Schroeder re: Librarians)

What's happening here, I think, is that we librarians are finally being
forced to confront the silliness of our idea that information is a public
good.  Of course it isn't.  It's a commodity.  It is created by force of
human effort, and it is essentially "owned" by its creator until she sells
or gives it away.  Information has always cost money, and it always will;
library services have never been free, and they never will be.  The longer
we resist waking up on this issue, the faster we'll become irrelevant and
useless to our patrons.

Rick Anderson
Electronic Resources/Serials Coordinator
The University Libraries
University of Nevada, Reno
1664 No. Virginia St.
Reno, NV  89557