Re: Message from Pat Schroeder re: Librarians

David,

When last I checked, for many disciplines, students can learn about
everything there is to learn by going to libraries and reading all the
same books that are read by students enrolled in colleges and
universities.  Yet, few students opt for that approach because their
efforts, no matter how successful, are likely not to be recognized by
others.

The technology is there to share information -- indeed, much of what is
published has already been shared with the relevant others.  Yet, does
this mean we can do without publishers?  Publishing is being done to gain
the official recognition of the people in the fields in which these
materials are being published, to place them in the public record, and to
share the information with all of the people not included in the networks
of the authors.

The question is not should we have publishers, the question is how much
are their labors worth.  The let's do away with publishers dogma makes no
more sense than extremist Schroeder dogma.

Tony Ferguson
Columbia University

____