Re: Message from Pat Schroeder re: Librarians

The rights of the authors, most certainly. The rights of the publishers,
also, provided they do not harm the rights of the authors or the public.
It is an open question whether in scientific journal publishing the
publishers have not used their role at the expense of the rights of the
authors and the public.

Now that there are ways of distributing research that do not depend upon
conventional publishing, this changes the  position a good deal.

I agree with Pat that a cooperative approach is to our mutual benefit, if
everyone involved remains aware of the implications of technology change
and does not insist upon maintaining obsolete solutions. This applies to
the academic community as well, not just the publishers and librarians.

Copyright exists for the benefit of the authors and the general public,
not for the benefit of libraries, or publishers, which are only agents of
distribution. Their existence depends upon being useful and economically
efficient agents: there is no truly fundamental necessity for any of them.
Personally, I think -- but cannot prove -- that the transfer of
information will go much better with them than without them.

Dr. David Goodman,
Princeton University Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu
609-258-3235