Re: Nature

If I were a librarian, I think I would be as unhappy as David is about the
nature of this licence. However as a former publisher I would like to make
two points:

1. There are a very small number of journals like Nature in its
combination of some of the best research papers published in certain
fields (learned journal) and its news and comment (magazine). I do not see
that any licence produced by Nature to cover its particular circumstances
and problems will have any impact on licenses proposed for standard
learned journals.

2. As far as I know, none of the small number of other similar
publications has found a truly satisfactory solution which enables total
content to be made accessible at what is perceived to be a reasonable
price without risking a massive loss of individual subscriptions. I know
there are differing views about the reality of the risk but those
responsible for the maintenance of revenue are surely right to be
cautious.

Anthony Watkinson
Visiting Professor in Information Science at City University London
14, Park Street, Bladon, Woodstock,
Oxon, England OX20 1RW
phone +44 1993 811561 and fax 1993  810067