e-Books for Libraries: Boston workshop

Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001
From: Rick Lugg (R2 Consulting) <rick@r2consulting.org>
Subject: eBooks for Libraries: Boston Area Workshop

EBOOKS FOR LIBRARIES: MAPPING A NEW WORLD

This half-day professional development workshop is presented by Rick Lugg
and Ruth Fischer of R2 Consulting, and is intended for librarians,
publishers, book vendors, and library system vendors--anyone interested in
the issues related to eBooks and libraries. This is the first of a series
of such workshops, to be held in various cities, and is an expansion of
R2's session at the Charleston Library Conference in November. We'll
present an overview and 3D interactive "map" of the emerging eBook
industry, with an emphasis on scholarly publishing and libraries. We'll
highlight the relationships between various technologies, companies, and
bodies of content, and provide context to help distinguish hype and
reality in this new world.

DATE: Friday, February 23, 2001

TIME: 8AM - 12 NOON

PLACE: Cambridge Center Marriott (at the Kendall/MIT stop on the Red Line)
	 Cambridge, Massachusetts

JOIN US AS WE EXPLORE:

---PC-based Readers (such as Microsoft Reader and Adobe Glassbook)
---PDA-based readers (Peanut Reader, Aportis, MS Reader for Pocket PC)
---Dedicated eBook Devices (RCA REB 1100, Franklin eBookMan)
---Web-based Readers/Collections (netLibrary Online Reader, Questia,
   ebrary)
---Print On Demand
---Size and Potential of the eBook Market
---Conversion, Hosting, and Digital Distribution of Book Content
---Initiatives of Major Publishers (iPublish, atRandom, Wiley)
---Independent ePublishers (Mighty Words, Denlinger's, Online Originals)
---New Publishing Models for eBooks (Slate, Contentville, BN.com, Wall
   Street Journal)
---Standards for eBook Content (OeB/XML; EBX/PDF)
---Rights Management Issues and Solutions (DRM; Digital Watermarking;
   Gnutella/Freenet)
---Opportunities for Libraries, Book Vendors, Publishers, and Library
   System Vendors

PRICE: $150 (includes Continental Breakfast)

TO REGISTER: E-Mail rick@r2consulting.org or ruth@r2consulting.org to
request registration form.

QUOTE FROM SOMEONE WHO'S SEEN IT: "R2 presented an outstanding session at
Charleston on how to map and make sense of all the e-book players,
announcements, and hype. It was the best thing I've seen on e-books."

Rick Lugg
R2 Consulting Services
63 Woodwell's Garrison
Contoocook, NH 03229