Re: Shrinkwrap Madness

David et al.

         While hardly a lawyer (although you'd think I would have to be to
cope with all this license mess), a key problem is that since I am buying
for a library instead of myself, I wouldn't be considered "mass-market"
under UCITA.  At a briefing sponsored by Nationwide Insurance a month ago,
I was advised that even obvious mass-market exceptions would not apply if
I operate any business from my home.  The following is the advice of the
4cite site on the question:

>First, the "right to return" applies only to consumers purchasing
>"mass-marketed" software, and not to businesses or software used for
>any type of commercial purpose. Second, this right instantly evaporates
>when the "I Agree" button is clicked, which occurs before a consumer
>can even load the program to see if it is even a program he/she wants,
>regardless of the license terms.

         Clearly there are sufficient problems with licenses without UCITA
giving software publishers a loaded gun (self-help to disable programs).
As I understand that the movie industry has done and that the insurance
industry is attempting in Virginia, maybe we should simply have the UCITA
laws exempt libraries or clearly state that all library transactions are
covered as mass-market rather than as commercial transactions.

K. Mulliner       Collection Development Coordinator
Ohio University Libraries               Phone: 740-593-2707
Athens, OH 45701-2978, USA              FAX:    740-593-2708
mulliner@ohio.edu

____