Re: perpetual access to licensed content

This is an issue which we considered very carefully in drafting the
'PA/JISC' model licence in the UK (see
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/services/elib/papers/pa/licence/Pajisc21.html)

I also touched on it in a recent piece for Serials Review entitled
'Archiving electronic publications: what are the problems and who should
solve them?'

There are actually two separate issues which are often (confusingly, in my
view) rolled together:  that of continuing access to material previously
subscribed to, after termination of the licence, and that of genuinely
long-term (who can say 'permanent'?) preservation and archival access,
e.g. from a national library or other repository.

Sally Morris, Secretary-General
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK

Phone:  01903 871686 Fax:  01903 871457 E-mail:  sec-gen@alpsp.org.uk
ALPSP Website  http://www.alpsp.org.uk

Learned Publishing is now online, free of charge, at
www.alpsp.org.uk/journal