RE: Including eReserve provisions in licensing contracts

There are now commercial e-reserve packages which some academic libraries
are using to manage their e-reserves. My library is examining the
possibilities of these at the moment.  Apparently, some of these packages
do not provide for links to URLs in externally-hosted services but are
structured only to display e- documents from within the e-reserve
programme.

Where this situation prevails then articles from e-journals or aggregator
services would have to be reproduced within the e- reserve domain and this
immediately runs up against those licence provisions which forbid
unauthorised reproduction.  In such a case it seems to me that we still
need the provision in licences allowing for e-reserves, or alternatively
we should exercise a great deal of caution about which e-reserve packages
we buy.

Christine Maher