Re: Including eReserve provisions in licensing contracts

If you have a license that provides access to all the members of an
institution to all the articles in a journal, as essentially all current
licenses do provide, this inherently and automatically includes the use of
a subset of articles by a subset of the students.  Any statement
permitting the use of ereserves in a site license is unnecessary and
redundant. Its just an advertising point, to make you think you're getting
something extra. Any statement by a publisher denying such right in a site
license is incompatible with the basic idea of the license--though it has
been a while since I have seen such a self-contradictory provision.

Of course, distance learning and so on provides some additional
complications. And licenses for less than the whole body of users also do,
if anyone is still offering or agreeing to them.

David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu            609-258-3235