Digital Libraries Symposium at ALA

********************
ADVANCE ANNOUNCEMENT
********************

ELSEVIER SCIENCE HONORS LIBRARY DIRECTORS AT
FOURTH ANNUAL DIGITAL LIBRARIES SYMPOSIUM

New York, NY . . .  November 15, 2000.  Elsevier Science announced that it
will honor three current or retired directors of major university research
libraries at a symposium in January 2001.  These leaders have made major
contributions to research librarianship.

The honorees are: Scott Bennett, University Librarian, Yale University;
Richard M. Dougherty, President, Dougherty & Associates; and Miriam A.
Drake, Dean and Director of Libraries, Georgia Institute of Technology.

The directors will be honored at Elsevier Science's 4th annual Digital
Libraries Symposium, entitled "Honoring Research Library Leaders," to be
held on Saturday, January 13, 2001, from 2:00 - 4:00 PM, in conjunction
with the American Library Association Midwinter Conference in Washington,
DC. The honorees will be the guest speakers at the symposium and they have
been invited to address a topic of their own choosing.

Karen Hunter, Senior Vice President, Elsevier Science, organized this
year's program as in previous years and she will continue the tradition of
moderating the session.  According to Hunter, "This year's topic departs
somewhat from the focus on things digital that framed our previous DLS
programs.  Our speakers will offer a different but interesting perspective
- they have led libraries through times of tremendous change.  In Dick
Dougherty's case, after heading the libraries at the University of
California Berkeley and the University of Michigan, he made transitions to
library school faculty, publisher and consultant.  I think we can expect
to hear stimulating ideas from each of the speakers."

The venue for the Washington, DC, program is still to be designated by ALA
and will be announced shortly.  The program is open to all, but attendees
are asked to RSVP to Elsevier Science (see details below).

Contact:
John Tagler, Director
International Library Communications
Elsevier Science