RE: Advice on breach

At the risk of saying little more than "Me too!", our experiences have
been very similar.  What the vendor in our most-recent case really wanted
was two things:

a)  assurances that we were taking due diligence in informing users what
the license terms are and what could happen if a second violation
occurred, and

b)  assurances that the user him/herself would not violate the license
agreement again.

To the first end, we took the standard steps (interstitial page notifying
users of the license terms, note to the faculty whose students are the
primary users of the database to the same effect, and so on).

To the second end, we brought the user in for about a one hour session
with a reference librarian, and showed him/her how to do research within
the guidelines of our license agreements.

And that seemed to satisfy all concerned.  In fact, they were satisfied
with communicating with the
significantly-humbler-than-the-Head-of-Collection-Development Electronic
Resources Librarian (i.e., me), rather than going up through the library
hierarchy.

--
Ben Lea
Reference Librarian / Electronic Resources Guy