Re: E-journal pricing question

I think the model and pricing depend on the goals the publisher has with
unbundling.  Example questions to consider:

1.  Does the publisher want the electronic version to circulate more
widely than print?  A lower price than the print version may be justified,
with new content going up at the same time as the print version.

2.  Does the publisher want to preserve print subscriptions?  Then the
electronic version should probably have a lag in its update.

3.  Will the publisher be able to use other features of an unbundled
online distribution?  i.e. sell advertising, offer affiliate products,
offer quicker copyright clearance for multiple printed copies, understand
better what articles are being read (track user statistics), etc.  How
much effort the publisher wants to put into the development of the online
version would impact price and model.

4.  Individual or site license?  Rights just to read, or rights to print and
distribute to a class, place on an intranet, etc.

Dana Bostrom
Software Technology Manager
Software & Copyright Management
Phone: 206.616.3451 / FAX: 206.616.3322