RE: Nature Journals: User Name and Password (Super ID Access)

On one level Rick is right. I do believe worrying about profit and loss of
a publisher aren't the business librarians are in.

However Nature, as a brand name is exactly the wrong kind of publisher to
be afraid of true site licensing for institutions. Nature is more than a
publication, it's an institution.

Just because Time and Newsweek are online doesn't mean they don't sell
individual issues and subscriptions.

Nature and Science are the Time and Newsweek (well maybe the Atlantic
Monthly??) of the scientific world. I listened to AAAS' editors discuss
their fears of widespread online access two years ago at a SSP Top
Management Roundtable in New York. They were talking to small
organizations who published journals as part of their membership support.
Talk about fearful! But in fact many organizations have made the "switch"
very successfully. ACM is the great example of course, but there are many
others. All Nature and Science are doing is showing that they have lost
touch with the real needs of the people who should be reading these
publications. (and aren't at the moment, think undergrads, and many grad
students who are about to the point of if it isn't online it doesn't
exist). That is the audience Nature and Science are in the process of
losing, and if that doesn't keep their editors up night worrying, then
maybe they need to get into a different business!

Chuck Hamaker
UNC Charlotte (shouting loud enough Rick??)