RE: Nature Journals: User Name and Password (Super ID Access)

I need to disagree with the comments of both Rick Anderson and John Cox.
The new Nature license states that certain portions in the magazine will
only become available electronically to institutional subscribers after a
12 issue delay.  This is not a question of not having the rights to make
these items available electronically.  It is a profit question.  For the
past year, Nature has published every week the complete magazine
electronically and has made it available to a number of institutional
subscribers on a trial basis.  It also took the publisher MacMillan more
than a year to design a license and a pricing strategy.  This month it
became clear that their strategy is clearly focused on expanding the
number of individual subscriptions to the electronic (and print) version
of the magazine, while also trying to maintain the institutional
subscription base.  In other words: if a reader wants the most recent and
important articles from Nature she will not be able to find it in a
library or through an institutional subscription, but the reader will need
to buy her own subscription.  Although our users at the University of
Amsterdam have been enthusiastic for the past year about the electronic
COMPLETE version of Nature, this University Library will not sign an
institutional license that only grants our readers access to information
with a delay of three months.

Kurt De Belder

Kurt De Belder
Chief, Division of Electronic Services
University Library, Universiteit van Amsterdam

mailto:kurt.de.belder@uba.uva.nl
http://www.uba.uva.nl
Tel.: +31 20 525 3672
Fax.: +31 20 525 2311