RE: Nature Journals: User Name and Password (Super ID Access)

I'm a naive person by nature (no pun intended in the context of this
thread), but I guess I don't really see the problem here.  If the
publisher of a nonacademic magazine normally buys first-time rights only
and publishes only in print, and then begins marketing an online version,
then it has two choices: either continue paying its writers for what it's
gotten in the past (first-time rights) and leave content from those
writers out of the online version (thus making it unattractive, as David
points out) or begin purchasing universal rights from its writers.  Will
that be more expensive? Yes, but isn't the publisher going to be selling
the online content?  The cost of those rights should be factored into the
online pricing.  That will make the online product more expensive, but we
librarians ought to expect that writers be paid for their work just like
we expect to be paid for ours.

Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson
Electronic Resources/Serials Coordinator
The University Libraries
University of Nevada, Reno
1664 No. Virginia St.
Reno, NV  89557