Re: FREE TRIAL ACCESS TO AIP ONLINE ARCHIVES (fwd)

Dan, I am very encouraged to see that so many libraries took advantage of
the savings you offered . This is different from the experience of some
other publishers. The difference is, in my opinion, due to the large
discount you offered.

A savings of 10% for electronic only is just not that attractive in most
circumstances. If publishers would like to encourage the transition to
electronic subscriptions, they should do just what your organization has
done, and offer a 50 percent savings.

Incidentally, though the maximum percentage for automatic renewal "x" may
have been 25% in the past, at most libraries it is now much more likely to
be 15% or 10% or even anything more than the average value expected for
the year. And it's no longer just a percentage: the absolute value matters
also.

I wish you continued success in the quest for a rational economic model.

David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu            609-258-3235