Re: quality of Service

=09charset=3D"iso-8859-1"
Date: Fri,  1 Sep 2000 18:28:03 EDT
Sender: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

With reference to OUP=92s recent difficulties caused by theft of computer
equipment from their service provider: Any system that relies on a single
server solution will always be at risk from this type of problem, as David
has pointed out below.  This is something that we have been aware of at
CatchWord from the start.

Consequently CatchWord has 10 mirrored servers spread across a number of
separate organisations and Internet Service Providers. Locations include
Digital Island points of presence in London, New York and Hong Kong. =20
Servers are also hosted at two sites on the UK academic network, in US and
Canadian universities, and in our UK and US offices on UUNet and the
Tellurian Network respectively.  Since July 1995 we have had a 99.98%
availability record.

In addition we have implemented automatic redirects between these servers. =
=20
Anyone connecting to www.catchword.com will be connected to the server
that will provide them with the fastest access.  If it should happen that
one server goes down, the user is moved seamlessly to the next fastest.

We would support any of our 52 publisher clients if they should choose to
add a clause to their contracts committing them to reliable backup servers
and journal accessibility.

Regards,

Kirsty Meddings
Library Relations Manager