Re: Site License Change for the American Society for Microbiology'sOnline Journals

Message from Jonathan Lord at the University of Virginia

From: "Jonathan M. Lord" <jml4s@cms.mail.virginia.edu>
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Cc: lmorriss@wppost.depaul.edu
Subject: Re: Site License Change for the American Society for Microbiology's Online Journals
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:45:31 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:21:01 EDT Linda Morrissett
<lmorriss@wppost.depaul.edu> wrote:

# Daphne,
#
# Thanks for this announcement.  I have one major problem
# with the license, which is forbidding remote access.  We
# allow access to our electronic products by DePaul Univ. IP
# address range, with the addition of a proxy server which
# allows DePaul people to come in from AOL or other ISPs.
# Remote access is really a basic service for electronic
# subscriptions.  Is there any consideration given to
# removing that clause from the license?  We would be very
# interested in adding ASM online journals, but your license
# precludes that possibility.

The no remote access clause is in the "Authorized Site"  section.  In this
context, it seems to only be forbidding remote access from multiple sites.
If you look at the next section, B. Access at an Authorized Site, it seems
to allow for the type of proxy access you describe:

"Valid IP addresses may include proxy or cable services or other
mechanisms for providing remote dial-in access only to Authorized Users of
the Authorized Site."

Jonathan Lord / Assistant Director for Collection Development
University of Virginia Health Sciences Library
P.O. Box 800722 / Charlottesville, VA 22908-0722
804-924-0059 / FAX: 804-243-5873 / E-Mail: JonLord@Virginia.edu