Re: Are banner ads acceptable on licesnsed databases?

Librarians would mind very much if the ads are intrusive into screen
format, were constant pop-ups and did not help stabalize the
content, indexing  and pricing of the database as print ads are
supposed to in traditional publications.

What if the advetising becomes another hotlink to some  "product" or
index the library does not subscribe to?

What cumbersome tools taht would be.  Some indexing in pront had ads
but this was major feature or pupose.  Index services  did not base
procing onad revenues.

With consolidation of so many information services this is
questionable for the scope of  index.  We will no doubt have to
accept some ads as we are forced to accept intruction of ads in
everything to from nursery on.  However, it would be a  great service
to all infro seekers if a reasonable amount and focus were created
and perhaps discussed by a broad spectrum of reasonable librarians
who had the ear of the corporate  database providers whose main
interest in economic usually while ours in the information and acces
to it.

  From:          GenAnnual@aol.com
To:            liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu Subject:       Are banner
ads acceptable on licesnsed databases? Date:          Fri, 11 Aug
2000 09:08:29 EDT

Colleagues,

I need your opinion. An online database vendor has asked me if librarians
would accept or object to their placing banner ads, visible to library
patrons, on licensed databases hosted by their company?

What would be your reaction? Not care; accepting; would cancel the
subscription or?  I take it that they feel they could charge lower fees if
they had the additional revenue from the ads.

What's your feeling?

Marie Cimino Spina
Assistant Head, Acquisitions
New York University