Re: Are banner ads acceptable on licesnsed databases?

	I think the times they are a changing.  If this idea were brought
up in 1980, lets say, that your Dialog or BRS search would have
advertising in it, I suspect that there would have been quite an uproar.
Now, the internet and the web page designs that we have become so used to
are making us more used to receiving content mixed with advertising.  We
subscribe to Time Magazine in print in libraries without going to the
picket lines to demand that the advertisements be removed before libraries
will agree to store Time and other magazines and journals on their
shelves.  Britannica online in the free version has been accepted with the
commercial content without a major protest.  Indeed, there is a strong
possibility that the Britannica might not have survived without making
this change.  I think that advertising in databases is going to come and
may be part of the mix that helps keep the databanks that vend databases
viable. I also believe that the training we have received by using the
internet extensively will make us unaware and unconcerned about the
advertising on websites and other delivery media for databases.  The more
that one is bombarded with commercial content, the better one gets at not
seeing it until it becomes the focus of a need that makes us want to use
the content of specific advertising.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@astro.temple.edu

Check My Articles on Database Searching
http://www.Edu-CyberPG.com/
Click on Ringleaders and Then Reference
The Educational CyberPlayGround <http://www.edu-cyberpg.com>
Diversity University Collaboratory Mailing List ISSN:1529-7861
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/diversity.html>