Re: Are banner ads acceptable on licesnsed databases?

To All/

>>> "Dana Bostrom" <bostrom@u.washington.edu> 08/13/00 06:42AM >>>

>You were not specific in what type of ads are included.  Third party
banner ads -- advertisers like Nike or Tower Records, for example, may be
different from a journal or the University itself placing ads on the
database.

                                   [snip]

    In a related matter, I'd be interested in individual professional
views regarding the use of banner ads either within the database or a
library's Web pages to promote library services, resources and collections.
 A good example might be a banner ad that alerts the user that onlline
assistance (using a MOO perhaps or other 'real-time / interactive
reference service)  is available from the library's Reference staff in
using the database.

/Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu

P.S. For examples of library use of Banner Ads, please visit my new
registry BANaRAMa(sm) at

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Banarama.htm

Other candidates for inclusion in BANaRAMa(sm) are most welcome !

       "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It"
                                                          Alan Kay