Re: Are banner ads acceptable on licesnsed databases?

My personal opinion is that these are tolerable for free databases, but not if
any charge is made for the material. At the very least, I would insist on a
contractual limit on size, frequency, location, and presentation (no blinking
or animation).

For journals, etc., where the ads are an intrinsic part of the items then I
would feel  otherwise, and would prefer that they be included, just as I
include them in binding paper copies.

An interesting related case is the acceptability of putting links to book
dealers in the online catalog. I can see how the users might find them
useful; I believe some such dealers offer the library a small percentage
of the purchases made. I cannot decide if this is a fatal compromise of
our integrity, or an inevitable coming to terms with reality.

David Goodman
Biology Librarian, and
Co-Chair, Electronic Journals Task Force
Princeton University Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu         http://www.princeton.edu/~biolib/
phone: 609-258-3235            fax: 609-258-2627

____