Re: License agreements for Microsoft product software

         Having seen the same AcqNet message, I looked into our
shrink-wrap licenses and found the same restriction on a recent
multi-volume set that we had bought from Microsoft Press.  After much
searching and phoning, I found an address to contact to modify the license
and sent off a request.

         I did receive what appears to be a standard revision for
libraries that does permit lending but imposes additional onerous terms.
As three examples:

1.      The CD-ROM and the print volume must be kept together
2.      The CD-ROM and the print volume must be circulated together
                 [how this works for an 8 or 10 volume set I'm not sure]
3.      The non-profit institution [library] must take steps to ensure
         that any files copied from the disc are erased by the user when
         the disc and volume are returned.

         There is also a prescribed copyright phrase that must accompany
the loan; however, it does not include this latter provision.

         I am in the process of following up on this with Microsoft.  I
see no reason for the first clause (that I shelve the CD & book together)
nor do I have any idea (beyond my wild imagination) what steps I might
take to assure that any files were erased.  And then I have this
multi-volume concern with regard to clause 2.

         So I have great interest in this question and exchange and will
add more as my Microsoft experience grows.

                 kent mulliner, ohio university libraries