Re: Some background information on agreement UKB & Elsevier Scienc=

Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:50:49 EDT
Sender: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

Reducing our dependence on the few unreasonably priced publishers who have
caused such problems in print and are likely to cause the same problems
online seems to me the sensible course.  Nothing strengthens your
long-term negotiating position like the publisher knowing they are not
indispensable and you're willing to do without.  And we are finding our
faculty will support us in this - we've had three enquiries from editors
in the past couple months about leaving problem publishers and taking
their journals elsewhere.

The five large schools in Utah and Nevada are coordinating journal
cancellations this year and looking at cutting overlap in holdings of
titles from Elsevier, Academic, Wiley and M.C.B.

We are holding out on signing anything that encourages our faculty to get
hooked on this stuff or limits our ability to cancel high-priced titles.

At Marriott we are sending Elsevier 23% of our serials budget for 5.5% of
our titles.  Those of us reared on Consumer Reports just can=92t stand this=
=2E

Margaret Landesman