Re: A question of licences and Alumni members

One thing I have considered is whether or not giving access to electronic
information resources to alumni members would improve alumni participation
rates at institutions.  Additional costs incurred when adding alumni to
licenses could be passed on as part of the alumni membership fee.  I
believe that for select groups of people on campus -- academics, library &
information science grads, etc. -- that would be a compelling reason for
membership.  But I've had my doubts as to whether or not the advantages
would outweigh the costs, and what the fee would need to be to provide
access to alumni members.  Many universities are now providing lifetime
e-mail forwarding, after students have gotten used to excellent service;
perhaps information access will be arranged in a creative fashion in the
future.

Dana Bostrom
Software Technology Manager
Office of Technology Transfer