A question of licences and Alumni members

Dear Liblicencers,

My name is Martin Borchert. I am the Electronic Information Services
Librarian at Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Australia.

Discussions with delegates at the IATUL Conference here at QUT last week
indicated that some (at least) academic libraries in the US are routinely
negotiating with suppliers of electronic products, that their Alumni
members have perpetual access rights to those recources.

This sounds like a great service to be able to offer Alumni members.

My question to you is... Is it common or rarely that academic libraries
routinely include Alumni within licence agreements, and are libraries
generally successful in this?

We currently do not include Alumni in our negotiations, but it sounds very
worthwhile.

Any advice, examples (within confidentiality requirements of course) or
feelings you have on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and best regards,

Martin

Martin Borchert
Electronic Information Services Librarian

ph. +61 7 3864 3470
fax. +61 7 3864 5539
m.borchert@qut.edu.au

Library Systems Group