From: hazel woodward [mailto:H.Woodward@cranfield.ac.uk]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2000 3:27 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Who is the subscriber

I'm glad that David has raised this issue on the list. We have had exactly
the same problem at Cranfield Univesity.  The Library signed the licence
and shortly afterwards we were informed by the publisher that one of our
Schools had cancelled a subscription (which we had no idea exisited).  In
this particular instance we were able to persuade the School *not* to
cancel - but after discussions with the publisher it was clear that, had
they gone ahead with the cancellation, the library would have had to take
responsibility for the subscription. I'm not sure what can be done with
existing licences - but clearly it is something that needs to be guarded
against in future negotiations with publishers. We have certainly
discussed the issue within the (UK) NESLI Steering Committee and will
monitor future NESLI licences.

Dr Hazel Woodward, University Librarian and
Director of Cranfield University Press,
Cranfield University, Cranfield,
Bedfordshire MK43 0AL.
Email: h.woodward@cranfield.ac.uk