Voice: 631.632.9959   Fax: 631.632.7116   E-mail: nathan.baum@sunysb.edu

>From hammes@ais.up.ac.za Tue Jun 20 04:57:26 2000
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:56:29 +0200
From: Monica Hammes <hammes@ais.up.ac.za>
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

It seems that both publishers and journal vendors consider ejournals on
par with pjournals as far as "subscription period" is concerned resulting
in the following kind of scenario with which we are presently grappling:

A client requests a subscription to an ejournal which will probably become
available at the beginning of July resulting in a five to six months usage
period this year. Yet the publisher and provider request payment for the
entire calendar year because we "will indeed be receiving all the issues
for the year"

Are there any solutions out there for this version of the access vs
ownership problem apart from the e-archives?

Monica Hammes
Academic Information Service
University of Pretoria