RE: What is wrong with this picture?

Rebecca said:

> I agree emphatically that recent
> changes in the copyright law protect only the publishers
> and distributers.  As someone who has published and
> recorded, I can assure you that I won't make one more cent
> from the changes to the copyright law than I did under
> the previous copyright law <...>

I'm not sure it's a question of publishers vs. authors -- I think it would
be more accurate to say that copyright holders are the ones protected, and
the copyright holder may be either party.  If you, the author, have sold
your copyright, then in theory you've already gained from it.  (Whether
that's actually the case is between you and the publisher, of course --
you might give away your copyright if you expect to realize non-monetary
benefit from doing so.)

--------
Rick Anderson
Head Acquisitions Librarian