Re: manifest assent

Kimberly:  The discussion you hoped for is not materializing.  I wonder if
it could be because many readers would be helped by examples of manifest
assent-type licenses?  Can you elaborate by pointing us to a few examples
of what you mean?  Some consciousness-raising on this point is important.

Not being particularly familiar with such creatures myself, I'd stick to
the caution that I give for "click" licenses and other supposedly
non-negotiable ones:  Think about your situation.  If you are sitting at
home in your fuzzy slippers trolling through the internet and you graze
through such e-wares and you don't read the license or don't comply with
it, the likelihood that the sheriff will knock on your door and serve you
with a subpoena is probably nil.  However, if you are an employee of an
institution that represents a potential customer for the e-goods, then the
situation could be quite different.  I personally think that no
institution can afford to glide by such licenses and take no action. In
fact, it would be irresponsible.

By the way, UCITA would validate/legalize such licenses as Kimberly
describes, a reason to pay attention to such licenses -- and to fight
adoption of UCITA.  Unless you live in Maryland or Virginia or any other
state where UCITA may have been enacted.  In that case you might want
to fight to get it off the books.

Ann Okerson
Yale University