Re: Question about delegating signatory authority

Leslie:

I'm sorry to hear about all of the red tape you have to navigate.

For better or worse, my library has chosen to give me signatory authority.
I review the agreement, make the changes I need to make, sign and return
the agreement.

It's only at this point that the negotiations begin and sometimes, radical
though it may seem, the negotiations are completed at this point and I
receive back in the mail a countersigned agreement.

Rather than considering arguing for your director to have such authority,
ask for it for yourself.  Meet with your university counsel to develop
mutually agreed guidelines you will follow when negotiating these
agreements.  Every institution is different, but I can't help wondering if
they wouldn't rather pass this responsibility back to your library.

Good luck.

--Scott Wicks
Acquisitions Librarian
Cornell Univ. Library