Re: unacceptable license terms

Michael Rancer wrote:

> I've been through about 100 licenses in the last 4 years.  No matter what
> else I look out for, there are 3 items I will not accept under any
> circumstances:
>
> 1.  An indemnity clause, other than standard University of California
> approved language.
>
> <text deleted>

We also struggle with these indecipherable indemnity clauses.  One vendor,
who could not explain to us what the clause meant, still insisted on
keeping it in.  But they were willing to accept a second clause that we
then insisted on, to counteract it and protect the library.  "Dueling
clauses" you might say.

That being the case, could you share with the list what is the "standard
University of California approved language"?

Don Wassink
Associate University Librarian
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology