Re: We have met the enemy...

I also encountered an onerous section of the agreement for the Serials
Librarian, which stated in effect that the terms could not be changed and
if the author didn't like them, s/he should take their article elsewhere.
Since I was asked to write an article for a special section, I did sign it
but included a letter of protest and said that I would not submit an
article to them again as long as their terms were non-negotiable.

>From their form:

7. NO AMENDMENTS: No amendments or modifications of the terms of this
Agreement are permissible unless same shall be in writing and signed by a
duly authorized officer of The Haworth Press, Inc. No Journal Editor,
Guest Editor or Special Issue Editor is authorized to waive, amend or
modify any of the procedures or other provisions of this Agreement. This
form is not valid if the Author(s) add any additional constraints and/or
amendments. Please submit the article elsewhere for publication if the
Author(s) do not sign this agreement without alteration.

Their form can be found at:

http://www.haworthpressinc.com/

Joyce L. Ogburn
Associate Director of Libraries
Resources and Collection Management Services
University of Washington
Box 352900
Seattle WA 98195-2900
phone: 206-685-2889; fax: 206-685-8727