Re: Negotiate or sign? (Was: "Confused")

> We *must* continue to work with publishers and vendors to
> SIMPLIFY these licenses as much as possible. A number of
> publishers have done so and I encourage the others to
> follow.

A related suggestion which I make (generally in vain) to publishers on a
regular basis is this: if libraries are a significant part of your market,
save yourself a lot of time and energy by creating a library version of
the license up front.  Otherwise, you're going to have to create a new
library version every time someone like me calls you up.  It's completely
beyond me why publishers prefer to do business that way, and yet the
majority of them seem to.

--------
Rick Anderson
Head Acquisitions Librarian